Monday, May 2, 2011

Time to Plant

With all the rain, it has been a perfect time to cast seed and to prepare for mass planting. 

Yesterday I went to my favorite annual plant sale at the Ivy Creek Natural Area.  Members of the Jefferson Chapter of the Native Plant Society divide and assemble what must have been a thousand little pots of a hundred different varieties of plants.  I picked up Trees, Shrubs, and Perennials.  My favorite find was a Pawpaw tree.  How exciting!  Nearly all the plants I purchased at last years sale made it through their first winter and are growing well.

Plants purchased from local Native Plant Society
Last week I tossed some seed out into the vegetable patch which so far shows signs of life from Black Raspberries, Potatoes, Onions, Kale, and Garlic.  Anthony's Grandmothers Rhubarb seems to have died (so sad). My herb plot just outside the vegetable garden gate that I started last year containing Oregano, Rosemary, Dwarf Sage, and various Thyme's has really greened up.  The Rosa Rugosa has doubled and the just planted Borage and Fennel plants from K-mart have grown from the recent rains (I pick up a few common herbs for a little over a dollar each year).

I'll soon be planting my new window boxes that I picked up on freecycle and need to repot many plants that I overwintered in the basement.  I also have my 2 trays of tomatoes, peppers and various seedlings that are patiently awaiting for the last frost free date in our area, May 15th, to be permanently planted outdoors.

A little start of Johnny Jump Up's from my friend Sally growing strong.

My friend Cindy helps a local refugee couple and they were really excited about planting a garden.  So we brought over the tools, purchased some cow manure and bricks and got that garden planted last week (I'll blog more about that later).  

I feel like I'm a little behind this year and have more activities to occupy my time such as my Etsy shop and blogs.  But the weather will wait - it's only May 2, Summer has yet to begin.

Happy planting!  -Rebecca 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...