Monday, May 9, 2011

Glorious Gardens

Bronze Peony and assorted Pansies.
A loaded down pink and cream Foxglove.
As previously blogged, I traveled Friday to the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond, Virginia.  I am so glad that I went.  I have been to the Christmas light extravaganza several times (amazing) and to the gardens on the only other FREE day, July 4th.  I have never visited the gardens in the spring and let me tell you, the gardens are spectacular right now.  All trees have leafed out and the Peonies are peaking as is the Rose Garden.  I forget Richmond is a bit warmer than Charlottesville so ahead of our bloom schedule.  I get to see a similar show in a few weeks right here as the Peonies and Roses are budding up on Forsythia Hill.  Several of my favorite plants were budding or in bloom, False Blue Indigo, Oakleaf Hydrangea, Native Wisteria, Foxglove, and Allium. 

The new Conservatory was loaded with Orchids and Bromeliads.  It was a glorious Spring day with perfect weather.

Vermicelli Bowl with Fish Sauce on side to die for.
My first stop in Richmond was to my favorite restaurant, Vietnam 1.  It is always delicious.  When my friend Ed lived in Richmond, he took me to this wonderful place.  It's nothing fancy but the food is inexpensive and so good I eat until I nearly pop.  I always get the Vermicelli bowl with crispy vegetable wonton. 

I also checked out Trader Joe's which is said to be coming to Charlottesville soon.  Oh man, did I fall in love with this store.  I can't wait until they arrive.  Great prices, fresh produce, and I'm loving the Cat Ginger cookies (for people).

Native Wisteria at Lewis Ginter Botanical G.
Have you visited a lovely garden this Spring?  Please leave a comment and tell us about it.

-Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...