Saturday, March 7, 2020

Protecting yourself from the Coronavirus COVID-19

The sun will rise and set each day like it always does!
Over the last week, my goal has been to protect myself and household from getting COVID-19 coronavirus. First and foremost is the attempt to leave the house less often. My grocery store accumulation of a 2 week supply of goods is complete for the moment. It's not necessary to over do it and hoard, leaving nothing for others. Some countries had to limit toilet paper purchases. It really is not the end of the world but for a time it's the end of some conveniences and fun. Think of the celebration the world will have when the virus is at least minimized and possibly even killed outright. Unlike the flu virus which mutates making it impossible to get rid of entirely, COVID-19 may possibly be eradicated from our planet. Obviously it's quite a virulent coronavirus strain but it does not seem to be as aggressive at mutating as the flu virus. Thus far it exists in only 2 strains, L and S.

Image from a bizarre book, but picnic's are not contagious!
Daily I watch Dr. John Campbell who has been reporting about the worldwide impact this virus is causing. He is a retired nurse and nurse trainer living in the UK. He stresses that we all need to be proactive and not reactive. If the virus is proven to be in your area, life needs to change proactively. Schools need to close, group events cancelled, travel plans possibly halted, food stashes consumed instead of going to the grocery store, etc. Because this virus is so virulent, it's too late if you wait to close the school once a case has been reported inside the school. It has been observed time after time that others will be contaminated causing the chain effect.

Stay at home, means more time with the girls.
My husband still is going to work each day in a small local office. I do have concerns about the goings on of fellow employees. Have they recently returned from travel? Is there any process in place to require employees to notify their employer of trip plans? Are proper hand washing and sanitizer illustrations posted around the office? Are extra cleaning protocols in place? It's not too early to be safe. Plans to work from home should be worked out in advance, if you are fortunate to have a job that is not involved with working with the public.

One of my many Rosa Rogusa.
Some studies have indicated that the virus does not like the sun, possibly killing it faster. It is suspected that instead of it being seasonal like the flu, it's possibly less virulent in the summer when our bodies receive more Vitamin D from sunlight. It is recommended that your body not be deficient in D, C, and Zinc. A standard dose of D might help and is typically well accepted by most individuals (taking the large short term dose sometimes prescribed by doctors, if you are severely lacking, appears to not be beneficial). Zinc is also mentioned as possibly being beneficial and if you are eating a wide variety of food, no supplementation is required. Vitamin C can be found in many foods and rose hips are one of the less common sources. I am fortunate to have a Rosa Rugosa bush patch and each Fall I harvest rose hips and dry them to store in my refrigerator over winter. I often grind them and add to my hot jasmine tea.

Forsythia is in bloom on Forsythia Hill in Cville VA
I've also begun to rethink my current environmentally based decision to carry a reusable grocery bag and coffee cup. The virus has been shown to stay alive for 9 days so I will swap out my grocery bag with another one each week (I plan to not go to the store more than 1 day a week at the most). Hanging out the used bag in the sun and air immediately upon my return from shopping. If I go into a coffee shop, I will have my coffee in the shop using their provided non-disposable mug. Sadly, these trips will be halted once the virus is spotted nearby. It's so sad for me to think of how many small business owners will be impacted and have to go out of business. Purses, backpacks and other public carrying cases should either be swapped out and put in the sunlight or sterilized after each trip (wipes are useful for this purpose).

Early Daffodil in my garden on Forsythia Hill.
As you can see from my photos, I'm trying to lighten the mood. The virus has not halted Spring from arriving in Virginia, my favorite time of year! Poo poo to you COVID-19. I'm going to enjoy my Spring with or without you!

~Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...