Monday, March 2, 2020

Coronavirus in the US, nervous binge eating from the storage pantry


My pantry items are growing
Over the last several days, I've been stocking up groceries and paper goods in preparation of a possible coronavirus outbreak in our area. Fear breeds panic and local stores could be temporarily wiped out of some key items. Minimizing your shopping trips can reduce the odds of infection. If you do get the virus in your household and have to isolate, game on, no trips to the grocery store! It certainly looks as if a community outbreak can happen anywhere. I'm particularly concerned because we live 15 miles from a large state medical facility, UVA (University of Virginia Hospital) and if someone needs urgent care, that's where they will be sent!

Only half of a Donut and a little Ice Cream blob.

As we wait for the virus to strike, my greatest concern is not eating my safety stash!! Having excess food tends to make one feel as if they can eat MORE! I decided to treat myself to a pint of Ice Cream and some Donuts, just in case there is no way to get SUGAR when in crisis mode. Might as well console myself and enjoy the top of the food chain delights before all hell breaks loose.

Nervous eating, obsessive thoughts, and worry does make you want to devour all that is bad for you!

Spirits must be booming right now!
It's normal to fear the unknown but it is not time to panic shop. First of all it's just plain rude and secondly there is no need for it. Read my prior blog post on what to stock up. If you get the virus, hopefully it will be a mild case and you will become somewhat immune to it. Of course the long term effects have yet to be determined because this is a totally new virus. I am concerned about my elderly mom and in-laws, not to mention that I have an auto-immune disease which makes it more possible that I could get really sick.

After we consume the fun foods, I'll eventually go retrieve some more of the boring stuff that can actually be saved for disaster use when the time comes. Be prepared but remember, this is not the end of the world and this too shall pass or at least become the norm.

~Rebecca




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...