Sunday, April 12, 2020

Spring flowers in Charlottesville Virginia on way to Ivy Landfill passing by Grand View Nursery

Azalea's are blooming. This was an impressive one at GV
If I were to rank Spring Seasons, I would have to say the bloom period this year has been stellar. Sometimes it can be so wet that you can't even get out and enjoy the plants, or they get so beaten down that the blooms get destroyed. Other times Spring can occur way too early in the season and Daffodils, Forsythia, Peach blooms, and Tulips get fried by frost or even freezes. I remember one Spring in the last 10 years that transitioned so quickly from cool temperatures to hot that everything bloomed all at once and there was really no Spring to be had, only miserable Summer humidity. That was absolutely the most disappointing Spring of them all.

Funny little statuary at Grand View
I have a regular route that I like to trek in order to check on a few spots of color. Typically in the Spring I have to make a trip to the Ivy Landfill and I make a point to drive by Grand View Nursery located at 648 Dry Bridge Road in Albemarle County Virginia. I barely missed the Daffodil blooms this year and sadly because of the coronavirus outbreak you are not permitted to get out of your car to stroll in the gardens. My photos were taken while sitting in the car!

Waterfalls at Grand View
I didn't bring my mask because I didn't imagine the greenhouses would even be open, but they ARE - hours are approximately M-Sat 9-4.  They are only letting 10 people in at a time and 8 were shopping. That was 8 too many for me without a mask! Sigh. They are a seasonal business and are only open in the Spring until around July 4th each year. They have a great sale during that time on what little that remains.

Lounging Longhorns
On the drive back we always pass the field of Texas Longhorns. I'm sure every day someone discovers this herd of amazing animals and nearly wrecks on Garth Road. I don't know of another herd in Charlottesville. Next to see as we turn onto Woodlands Road is a clump of Dogwoods that never disappoints.

Spring Pink, what could be prettier
My husband was in a mad rush to get to the landfill and back home so I was a little perturbed. I didn't spring it on him that we would be taking a Saturday drive until we were halfway to the landfill. We had over 500 lbs of carpet, concrete, and sheetrock scraps to drop off. It managed to be an enjoyable trip and it makes me want to get back out and see what's in bloom around Charlottesville before the show is over.

~Rebecca 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...