Friday, April 26, 2013

Historic Garden Week - Richmond VA Gardens

Whimsical garden on Kanawha
This week during Historic Garden Week in Virginia, we spent the day visiting 8 homes in Richmond, VA. The beautiful gardens and homes kept us entertained so we didn't notice the chill in the air.

Garden Club of Virginia Headquarters
We started our tour at the Garden Club of Virginia Headquarters at the incredible Kent Valentine House. Located downtown nestled in massive Southern Magnolia Trees that predate the house (1845)! This antebellum mansion was saved from the wrecking ball by the club in 1971 and spurred preservation in that part of Richmond. Completely furnished by members, it hosts wedding receptions and events.

Hydrangea
The bulk of the tour focused on the historic secluded Chatham Hills neighborhood located just minutes from the Country Club of Virginia.  Most homes were built in the 1920s so there are many majestic trees in a park like setting with plenty of privacy. This time of year offers Spring colors of pastels with touches of fresh green growth. It's a beautiful time of year to celebrate a new season.

Richmond's version of a "pool house" - WOW.
My favorite garden on the tour was the whimsical 7 Kanawha Road. We spent over an hour looking at the statuary, wall of masks, and plantings located right on top of the Kanawha Canal and behind what once was a pool house for a nearby mansion. We had a good laugh over Richmonders definition of a pool house as this was most definitely the biggest pool house on the planet.

Red Poppy w/ Pansies in the background
The last garden that we visited, 129 Brookschase Ln, obviously belonged to a plant collector because of all the plant varieties in the yard. I loved the shrub collection, Poppies and herb bed.  My favorite, must have plant, on the tour, was a Sinocalycalycanthus or Sweet Shrub Hybrid.  I also fell in love with a beautiful Holly that was planted at several homes along the tour coated with big yellow spring pom pom blossoms.

Rear of home on Kanawha Road.
The icing on the cake are the breathtaking Floral Arrangements designed by Club members. It was a beautiful tour and garden club volunteers were welcoming and kind.  I can't wait to see where next year takes me!  More photos will be posted on my tumblr blog.

-Rebecca


1 comment:

  1. Hi Rebecca!
    After I received notice that you started following my 'GARDEN' board on Pinterest (Rita Meter Maid), I went your board, saw that you're practically my next-door neighbor in Charlottesville (I'm in WV), and ended up here on your blog. :)
    I also blog, http://wvpanoply.blogspot.com, and invite you to come over! I have one post, Gardening Grows the Spirit 2012, that you may particularly enjoy in keeping with your theme for blogging. My blog is primarily written around antiquing and collecting as a shopkeeper (in a local antique mall), but it appears we have several things in common. I'm adding your blog to my reading list, and you to my circle - I hope you'll do the same. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...