Thursday, July 25, 2019

Peak Season to spot Butterflies in the Virginia Garden is July and August

Male Easter Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly on Buddelia
Female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly on Clerodendrum
I'm seeing more and more varieties of butterflies in my Charlottesville Virginia gardens. My blooming Mimosa tree is loaded with Eastern Tiger Striped Butterflies. So many that it looks like glitter reflecting in the tree. A record year for them in my garden on Forsythia Hill. I often wonder if it's because I continue to plant shrubs and flowers offering to them more places to dine and lay their eggs. Weather will also make annual numbers wax and wane. Butterflies will lay eggs near a specific food plant that caterpillars will consume or on dead leaves, grass stems or even on soil. I don't deadhead flowers or remove or burn dead leaves as they could harbor eggs!



Female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly on Hyssop
The female Eastern Tiger can be yellow or black. The male can only be yellow. The yellow female is accented with blue on the lower end near the tails.

Amazingly beautiful little Common Buckeye Butterfly
One of my favorite butterflies is the Common Buckeye. I don't see many in my garden but I did just spot one this week. In flight it's very hard to see the spots but you will see a little white line flashing if you focus on it. I love the mocha brown with orange detailing and those EYES!

I'm creating a Dwarf Clerodendrum patch

I have to mention a few standout plants that Butterflies love to visit. Of course the Buddelia is top on their list but the downfall with this plant is that no caterpillars like it as a food plant (a plant they eat when they hatch). My Clerodendrum is beloved by the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly and the flowers smell heavenly but shockingly the leaves are the worst smelling thing EVER. I find the  smaller butterflies and insects enjoying perennial herbs such as native Mountain Mint, Anise Hyssop, Fennel, and Catnip.

Giant Black Wasp on Mountain Mint

A larger insect that loves Mountain Mint is the Giant Black Wasp, check out those striking blue wings. This wasp not only likes the Mountain Mint nectar but is a bug killer, hauling bodies to its nest. I'm hoping stinkbugs and Japanese Beetles are on the top of their favorite list.

This weekend is the annual Albemarle County Butterfly Count! This will be my third year of participation. I hope to see something exciting that is not found in my garden.

Can't wait!

~ Rebecca


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...